AN EXPERIMENT WITH MODEL TURBINES IN SERIES
(SOLUTION TO POWER CRISIS)
Dr. Dev Bahadur Dongol
Standing still water column has pressure effect according to the depth, the greater the height of the water column the greater are the lateral and down ward pressure. But in uniform running water column the down ward pressure is uniform throughout and acts only in the direction of the water flow and has no lateral pressure. So a number of turbines installed in series can run uniformly and independently at any point of the running water column. Thus, present practice of installing only one turbine at the bottom of a running water column by applying the property of standing still water column is blunder in hydropower engineering. At present we are tapping only minimum hydropower out of the available unlimited hydropower that is possible by installing turbines in series.
Model Turbine – water meter is ideal as model turbine. It can’t be better than those as ideal model turbines for experimental purposes.
Fix any number of model turbines (water meters) in series between pieces of uniform rubber tube. (Tap – tubing – model turbine – tubing and so on). I did with three model turbines. Completely fill the rubber tubing with water, from intake to the discharge point. Then drain water from a bucket or tap. While water is running all the model turbines run simultaneously. Stop water at the discharge point or at outlet, all the model turbines stop instantly; still water remains throughout the tubing. Drain any quantity of water, all the model turbines (water meters) show the same reading. As for example, if we drain 100 ml. of water, all of them show 100 ml. of water is discharged.
Answer: for video clip scroll down
THE FOLLOWING VIDEOS SHOW THE METHOD OF INSTALLING TURBINES IN SERIES
Explanations: – Each model turbine runs independently, uniformly, and rate of discharging water is same at any point along the uniform water running pipe. Water keeps on running consistently before and after each turbine.
1. Rate of discharging water is uniform, so power of running water is not changed, remains constant.
2. Velocity of water is uniform throughout the running water column.
3. All model turbines in series rotate uniformly and independently, they don’t decrease the power of running water. So each of them can run a generator of equal capacity.
Conclusion: Each of the model Turbines in series can function independently without decreasing their efficiency.
Modify the turbines in practice so that many of them can be installed in series along the same penstock pipe without breaking uniformity and continuity of running water column and thus open the door for harnessing unlimited hydropower.
1. No other sources of energy will be needed. We wouldn’t need even a fraction of hydropower available in
the Nature. No nuclear, no coal, no gas, no diesel etc. but only HYDROPOWER.
2. TOCARDO – It is also applicable in the TOCARDO system of harnessing hydropower with modification.
NB: The experiment can be done by blowing air with mouth as well and get the same result.
(Related information on these is helpful / useful:
1. Introduction of hydropower turbine installation, Defining Head, Turbine and Generator etc. 2. Role of rushing water, 3. Tapping electricity as per the quantity of water being discharged – 100,00,00 L/sec means 1MW)
(Dev Bahadur Dongol, Ph.D. 1986, Nottingham University, UK. Voluntarily Retired Associate Prof. 1994, TU as Science Teacher Educator, Email – email@example.com. Mobile: 9841 647 393 Blog: devbahadurdongol.blogspot.com)